Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Need to replace coax cable. Need advice.

Jo wrote:
On Apr 14, 4:53 am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Jo" wrote

. I also don't want to remove the existing cable until I
can get the new one in. I don't know if two coax cables will fit
through the holes. Any thoughts?

That is a potential problem. I'd use the old cable to pull the new
one through. It would make the job much easier.

My only concern with that is if for some reason there's a problem
installing the new cable and we take out the old one, I won't be able
to watch tv.

So how would I use the old one to pull the new one through? Would I
connect the two with a coupler (or joiner - whatever they're called)
and then just gently pull the cable through?

The cable guy came out a few weeks ago to fix an unrelated problem and
he checked the signal and said the signal was low on the cable that
goes onto the roof. He said it needs to be replaced asap. He was
really concerned about, I don't know why exactly. There's no problem
with the picture though. That particular cable is 20 years old and
part of it is exposed on the roof. So it gets baked in the hot summer
sun. Then most of the rest of it goes through the hot attic. The
picture is actually a bit worse in the summer because of that.

You're contemplating a 200-curseword job on the say-so of a CABLE GUY?

Who you've already said is incompetent?

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Geeze!