Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Can I Convert a electric recliner chair to manual recliner?

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 14:16:15 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Indeed. The reason why cars have electric windows, is that its CHEAPER.

Those huge mechanical winders were heavy and expensive t make.

Eh, having had both types apart there is very little difference the
motor just replaces the handle. The rest of the mechansium is very
similar, channel attached to the bottom of the glass, one or two arms
with rollers in the channel, quadrant drive from the handle/motor to
make the arm(s) go up/down.

I think there are recirculating ball drives and worm drives but they
strike me as even more complicated.

Most DC style motors are very generic.

For something like a chair I'd agree, cars tend to use custom motors
simply 'cause of the scale of manufacture.

I thin you will find they are still generic.

Mabuchi for example, spits out billions of DC motors to almost any spec
you want. From toothbrush to a golf buggy. Its not hard to fn one of
similar power and voltage rating, and its not usually that critical either.