Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - Speed Cameras

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 08:44:47 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote

several weeks ago, I got on a Ninja and was clocked at 264 mph, on a
paved public road.

Now to be fair..it was a paved road out in the desert. And the scooter
did belong to a CHP buddy of mine. And his partner was running the
speed gun....shrug

But reckless? Hardly.

Gunner

There was a fella who got a ticket on a motorcycle, somewhere in New
England, IIRC, that was at some high speed. Anyone recall it?

Nope.

Just Googled, and it seemes a Porsche went 242 in a 75 in Texas, and a
motorcycle went 205.11 in Minnesota. How did they get the .11?

It's probably a function of the radar gun or unit. The law says 75
miles per hour is legal. If the radar says 75.01, he can be ticketed.
It's all about money when it comes to gov't systems.

I once went 120 on a Honda 750 in around 1969 when they were one of the
fastest things around. That was a rush.

I've done 125 (limited by traffic) in a Porsche 928 (the only one I
recognize. Not one of those oversexed VWs) and as a passenger 150 in a
'63 Corvette and 140+ in a '67 GTO. I think 90 is the fastest I've
been on a bike, and yes, that's damned fast feeling. I prefer the
safety and comfort of a speeding car.

The brother of a friend in Vista, CA in the early '70s was cautioned
when he bought his new Kawasaki Mach III (big for then) 500cc that he
should never go WFO into fifth gear. He did and it when the bike
flipped getting onto the freeway, it ground off the top half of his
head before he stopped. At least he didn't suffer.

--
The general effect was exactly like a microscopic view of a
small detachment of black beetles, in search of a dead rat.