Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] dom@gglz.com is offline

Default immersion heater seal

On Mar 29, 1:47*am, "Gazz" wrote:
guess my last post wont be read due to the title i gave it, but i really do
have a leaky wet flange.....

the immersion heater flange on the motorhomes calorifier,

old seal was a thin O ring, new seal is a waxed gasket the width of the
entire flange seating area, still leaks, but not as much,

what would be the recomended sealant to use on the flange? i'll avoid boss
white as i might want to take it appart sometime in the future,
i could use silicone sealant, but i'd rather not if something better is
recomended,

there's tru blu, which mentions it's for flange mating surfaces, and it's
recomended for joints subject to vibration, which is the case in a
motorhome.

or would liquid ptfe be better? i'll wrap some ptfe tape around the threads,
even tho i know the seal is the flange it's self, but it seems recomended to
help getting the thing undone at a later date,

Basicaly it'll have to be something i can get from toolstation, as that's
where i'm going tommorow,

they do a washer that looks like it's a fiber type, would one of those be
better? assuming toolstations washers are fibre??

Use Loctite 55 sealing cord:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/42142/...-Seal-Cord-50m

It's like a thick, heavy, waxy PTFE tape made into a cord (in fact a
bit like a "heavy dental floss").

Has been recommended many times on here, and I've used it to seal an
immersion heater with an 8 metre pressure head. Worked perfectly,
first time.