Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tabby Tabby is offline

Default immersion heater seal

On Mar 29, 2:16*am, "Dave Baker" wrote:
"Gazz" wrote in ...
guess my last post wont be read due to the title i gave it, but i really
do have a leaky wet flange.....

the immersion heater flange on the motorhomes calorifier,

old seal was a thin O ring, new seal is a waxed gasket the width of the
entire flange seating area, still leaks, but not as much,

what would be the recomended sealant to use on the flange? i'll avoid boss
white as i might want to take it appart sometime in the future,
i could use silicone sealant, but i'd rather not if something better is
recomended,

Had the same problem on a domestic immersion tank where the paper gasket
alone simply wouldn't seal it. Maybe the flange was distorted somehow. A
smear of ordinary clear silicone on both sides of the gasket sorted it. Make
sure to let it cure overnight before filling with water again though.

That's what I'd reach for. Get the soft stuff and its very easy to cut
or break later. High modulus? I can never remember which is which.

NT