Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default How do I find a broken wire?

On 2/25/2011 3:01 PM, Sjouke Burry wrote:
mm wrote:
How do I find a broken wire?

I have a 100 foot orange extension cord that doesn't work.

Usually when I cut one in half with a hedge trimmer, it's fairly easy
to find the defect. And then I fix it.
Other times I use pins to check continuity near the plug or socket,
where cords usually break.
But this time the problem is somewhere in the middle! If I worked for
the electric compnay, or the cable company, or even probably the gas
company, I'd have some clever tool that find open circuits in the
middle of wires, even underground.
Is there something I have around the house or can buy cheaply that
will do this?

I found for only 45 dollars an Armada Tone Probe, that works with a
tone gneerator, but I guess I want some method that is cheaper!

A break in some random place means an olmost worn out cable.

Get a new one.

Agreed. The orange cables should be considered consumable items. Unless
the failure can be found by Mark I eyeball exam and easily repaired,
time for a new one.

--
aem sends...