Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default How To Cut Out A Door Hinge Recess W/O A Router

On Feb 25, 3:35*am, Ron wrote:
Had to replace a piece of a door jam that was rotted out, now I need
to cut out a hinge recess with rounded corners and I don't have a
router.

I have a Dremel, does Home Depot sell any kind of bit for this
purpose?

Any suggestions?

If you examine your hing you will probably find that the screwholes
are at the centres of the radius on the cornerscorners. CLUE! :-)

If you get one of the flat wood drills of the same radius as the
corners of the hinges you can use this., Offer up the hinge into
position and mark the screw holes. This is where the spike in the
centre of the drill goes. Dril to the depth require (say 1/8"?). Cut
out the rest with a mallet & chisel. Or use a hammer if you're a
redneck.
The spike on the drill makes a nice pilot hole for the fixing screws
in exactly the right position.