Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default How To Cut Out A Door Hinge Recess W/O A Router

On 2/24/2011 10:35 PM, Ron wrote:
Had to replace a piece of a door jam that was rotted out, now I need
to cut out a hinge recess with rounded corners and I don't have a
router.

I have a Dremel, does Home Depot sell any kind of bit for this
purpose?

Any suggestions?

Any large hobby store will have rounded woodcarving chisels. For a
one-time use, I would use a sharp chisel to cut the straight parts, and
a fresh blade in a utility knife or exacto to cut the corner curves. Use
the sharp knife to score around the hinge to mark your cut lines. Unless
the doorframe is hardwood, you can actually make the shallow cuts with a
knife, and just use a sharp chisel to hog out the field. Make score cuts
with chisel or knife to control the depth, and the other parts should
just pop right out. It doesn't need to be perfect work as long as there
are no high spots- the hinge will cover it.

If all this sounds scary, practice on a scrap piece of the same wood
until you get the technique down. I haven't done it in twenty years, but
would have no hesitation at doing it right now.

--
aem sends....