Posted to sci.electronics.repair
myfathersson myfathersson is offline

Default What is the story with the Panasonic SA-PT760?

Is there a known problem with this unit? I have one and it is
completely dead, - as if there is a fuse dead on the power supply.

I checked with Panasonic and they wouldn't speak about it (or possibly
some Indian support centre couldn't speak about it?) They insisted on
my calling some local dealer who said the unit, which may well still
be under warranty, wasn't likely to have a fuse problem. So I did a
bit of research and amazingly came across someone on ebay offering to
repair this specific unit!! Not that this is unknown but why this
specific unit? I checked and usually these sorts of offers are
limited to things like Krells?? (or units which are presumably known
to go wrong, - and in a certain known area, - just after the
warranty has expired)

So I peeked inside, being careful not to disturb the screws. Guess
what? There IS a fuse inside it and it isn't blown.

Is this something to do with it boasting 125 watts (on numerous
channels), yet being light as a feather, as if there is hardly a power
transformer in it? Or more to do with the underside looking a bit
like a cheap throw away Sony VHS unit?

Does anyone know what is the problem with this unit please? There isnt
a repair station anywhere near me.