Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default removing "paint scrape" from our car

On 02/19/2011 08:06 AM, hr(bob) wrote:
On Feb 19, 6:59 am, Jeff wrote:
On 2/19/2011 7:32 AM, Ohioguy wrote:

My wife ran up against the painted wooden edge of our garage door
while backing out the car. Now we have a scraped bright green against
our dark grey, which shows up quite a bit.

I used a lot of elbow grease, plus some soap& water, hoping that it
might just be water based paint that would come off somewhat easily. It
didn't work. Then I tried mineral spirits, hoping that might take it off.

Most of the paint is on a plastic or rubber "bump guard", but a small
amount of it is on the actual driver side door.

Anyone have any suggestions on other concoctions that I might try to get
it off?

Some kind of a soft abrasive. You have a balance between taking off
the paint and scratching/dulling the finish of the car.

Try a scrubby sponge. Or perhaps try Goof Off. If that doesn't work
you'll need to polish the mark off. In the home: toothpaste. At the auto
parts sto rubbing and buffing compound.

Jeff

Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

What Jeff said is exactly what I would recommend

"scrubby sponge" will likely destroy the car's paint (usually they are
some flavor of scotchbrite.)

I would use polishing compound from your FLAPS followed by wax of
choice. If you don't have any and don't want to buy any for whatever
reason, Bon Ami on a damp sponge may work in a pinch.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel