Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tire Bead Goop

wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Not around here. Cactus needles love to puncture any type of
inflatable tire.

There are two completely different kinds of "tire bead goop". One is
the soap or glycerine lube (RuGlyde), which has minimal sealing
qualities - the other is the black latex "bead sealer" that does a
reasonable job of sealing a bead if it is clean and not too badly
corroded.

As for tubeless low speed tires, it all comes down to PRICE.
The majority of us North Americans are notoriously CHEEP critters, and
the manufacturers won;t spend a penny more than necessary to get their
product out the door, and, hopefully, through warranty.

Re-seating a wheelbarrow tire is simple. Spray some butane into the
tire and throw a match at it. It'll pop right on, 9.9 times out of 10.

But putting in a tube is a much better solution. A "slimed" or self
sealing tube is almost a requirement in misquite or cactus country,
and a kevlar liner works wonders too. Wreaks havoc with balance, so
not so good on high speed tires.

Those needles would puncture large truck tires as well. Some were
just shy of 2" long, and they could go through the tread or the
sidewalls.

The last flat I had on a wheelbarrow had already had a tube
installed, but the old tire was so dried out that I couldn't get the bad
tube out. I had two bad tires on a garden cart with 3/4" hubs. I made a
new 5/8" axle and slipped it into a piece of thin walled pipe to make it
fit the old mounts. They wanted more for a pair of new tires than a new
cart cost.

Teflon coated.