Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tire Bead Goop

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 17:56:02 -0800, Rich Grise

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 22:19:57 -0500, Gerald Miller

The thing I can't understand, is why manufacturers insist on mounting
tubeless tires on everything such as wheelbarrows, snowblowers and
other low speed equipment. I can understand that tubless tires run
cooler at high speed but on a wheelbarrow? snowblower? After ten
years, the tires are checked and the rims are rusted, so the owner
gets to install the tube that should have been there in the first
place. The lawn tractor with low pressure tires does a sharp turn and
catches some grass stems or twigs in the bead and developes a slow
leak (I, personaly, traced this down and fixed it - the lady was using
a bicycle pump every time she went to cut the grass).
What is there for not installing tube type tires on low speed
equipment?

A tubeless tire can be mounted and inflated by a robot. Not so for
stuffing a tube, pulling the valve stem and inflating.

Speaking of stuffing a tube, where do you get unscented talcum powder?

I'd like to find some, too. I'd been using baby-smelling stuff for
dusting my face prior to electric shaving, but have tried plain
cornstarch lately.

Hmm, one recipe is 1 cup rice flour + 1/2 cup cornstarch + essential
oils. Leave out the oils and you have your unscented. Find the rest
in the bulk food section of major markets.

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from the
effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.