Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tire Bead Goop

On Feb 13, 9:59*pm, Pilgrim wrote:
Is the purpose of the goop they slather around the bead of a tubeless
tire to lubricate during installation, to help seal the tire rim
interface, or both? I have a freebee dolly on which one of the tire has
a very very slow leak at the interface. What is this goop? The local
auto parts store was of no help.

Thanks

Chuck P.

My understanding is the goop is vegetable oil. It acts as a lubricant
which helps to get the bead seated on the rim.

Recently I came back to my truck and found it blocked in by a tire
service truck. He was trying to get a truck tire seated on the rim.
He had a little air tank with a one inch ball valve going to a bit of
one inch pipe. The free end of the pipe was somewhat flattened. He
would lubricate the bead and then slip the pipe between the bead and
the rim. Hit the ball valve and the tire would almost seat. The pipe
got pushed out of the way as the tire started to seat. The rim had a
few rough spots and would not get a good seal.

After a few attempts that failed, he got a can of starter fluid and
sprayed some inside the tire. Then tossed a match. There was a poof
and the bead was seated.

Dan