Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Tire Bead Goop

On Feb 14, 9:30*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 18:59:18 -0800, Pilgrim
wrote:

Is the purpose of the goop they slather around the bead of a tubeless
tire to lubricate during installation, to help seal the tire rim
interface, or both? I have a freebee dolly on which one of the tire has
a very very slow leak at the interface. What is this goop? The local
auto parts store was of no help.

Generally, it's just a soapy water mix for lubing the tire onto the
rim. Once it evaporates, it's gone. There is no extra sealing
capability.

To seal from the inside, install some of the green slime.http://tinyurl.com/4nz5zz2

--
Remember, in an emergency, dial 1911.

Second on the Slime. I've got a tubeless tire on one dolly that does
exactly that, a short shot of the slime fixed it up.

I've only ever seen them use a swab with some tire soap on it when
mounting my tires, comes in a bucket. Only for seating beads and
keeping the rubber from tearing when stretching it over the rims.
Lubricant only, no sealing properties.

Now if you've got a tube in your tire, the slime may just make a mess,
you'd have to patch the tube.

Stan