Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Parry Peter Parry is offline

Default I want to know about bad phone wiring!

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 06:39:00 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

If you can spare a couple of minutes to tell me about it (particularly
if you know the wiring layout around the building) - I'm really
interested!

As has been mentioned - Some BT dropwire is figure of 8 and nailed to
walls which can get very wet so at RF the characteristics are very
variable.. The most common wiring problem though is not found just
in old houses but equally in new ones and it is where the electrician
has been given the task of doing the internal phone wiring as well as
the alarm wiring. Quite frequently they simply use alarm cable for
both the alarm system and the telephone wiring. Alarm cable isn't
twisted pair and unused cores (it is usually 6 or 8 core) are usually
simply left to act as aerials. I've seen a set of 20 new flats with
telephones wired with alarm cable.

Very long extension cables made of flat parallel laid cable are also
common -often used because they can hide under carpets. The spare
cable will be wound in a neat coil at one end!