Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Lanciani Dan Lanciani is offline

Default leaking p-trap joint

In article , writes:
| On Jan 24, 1:10=A0pm, Limp Arbor wrote:
| Probably the old nut you took off had a built-in washer. =A0I too have
| copper drains and the nut that goes on the end has a thin piece built-
| in that hits the tapered portion inside the drain pipe and gets forced
| against the inserted pipe. =A0If the fitting on the inside end of your
| copper drain is cone shaped (gets smaller as goes in) the plastic
| tapered washers and the flat rubber washers are going to be tough to
| get a seal. =A0You may need to dig through the trash and find the old
| nut. =A0
|
| Ah, that may be the problem...
|
| Unfortunately, the nut was seized on to the copper fitting, I couldn't
| move it with an 18" pipe wrench, so I had to split it off. The nut is
| no more.

You could cut off the fitting and use a Fernco coupler. They make a special
one just for copper to tubular: the 3010-150. Or you could solder on a new
Marvel adapter. I was surprised to see that Home Depot actually carries
these in bronze. You might even be able to use the nut from one.

Dan Lanciani
ddl@danlan.*com