Posted to uk.d-i-y
D.M. Procida D.M. Procida is offline

Default Maximum weight on shelves fixed to plasterboard wall

Lobster wrote:

On 22/01/2011 22:58, D.M. Procida wrote:
Rick wrote:

"D.M. wrote in
message
Assuming that I have appropriate fixings, what is the maximum weight I
should try to hang from a plasterboard wall?

I have one of these:
http://www.habitat.co.uk/cleo-cd-storage/-//fcp-product/997898 that's
going to need to be wall-mounted. 400 CDs make quite a weight, and the
thing is heavy enough to begin with.

I would not fix anything direct to Plasterboard .... either fix direct to
studs, or fix counter batten to studs then what you want to the batten

I don't really have that option.

Well you kind of do... just means more work/mess: cut away plasterboard
behind where the shelves go, and insert batten to go between two studs,
then cover over the hole. It looks like it will be really heavy: no way
I'd trust any form of pb fixing alone with that.

You might be right. Builders seem to treat plasterboard the way I played
with Lego, so maybe it's not such a big job.

Other than that - I see that it's 1.57m tall: couldn't it be
floor-standing (still screwed to the wall but with the floor taking the
actual weight)? Perspex stilts?

Unfortunately there is a mains socket just where I want to put it -
which means it can't even rest on the skirting board with a couple of
short legs at the front (as well as being fastened to the wall of
course) - it'll have to go above the socket.

Daniele