Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Can galvanized fittings be used with black iron pipe?

On Jan 22, 12:19*am, Mikepier wrote:
Was at Lowes tonight picking up stuff for hooking up my HW heater this
weekend and found out they did not have anymore 1/2" Tee's in black
iron for my gas line. But they had galvanized 1/2" Tee's.
Can I mix the 2?

This is one of those questions that starts wars. Left coasters
generally can use galvanized, but I believe that is a different
galvanizing process for gas pipe than the standard galvanizing.
Something about the galvanizing flaking off or some such. East coast
generally has galvanized prohibited. Obviously your local code rules.

I would not mix galvanized and black iron directly, even if it's
allowed, as that accelerates corrosion. You'd have to use a
dielectric fitting.

Best thing is to visit a local plumbing supply house for such things.
They'll have stuff Lowes and Home Despot won't carry, and the guys
know far more than the guys in the aprons. On a side note, the local
big guy plumbing supply house, which I used to loathe going to as they
had major attitude and you had to be waited on (long lines and
attitude = I go elsewhere), changed over to a pick-your-own store set
up. Far superior. I'm sure they did it to trim superfluous counter
people and pickers, and make the store more user-friendly.