Posted to uk.d-i-y
Kipper at sea Kipper at sea is offline

Default Sheds and condensation avoidence thereof

On Jan 20, 2:40*pm, Chris Wilson wrote:
Folks,

I plan on building reasonably large wooden shed (either with a concrete or
more likely a raised wooden floor) this summer, it's going to be a non
standard shape somewhat trapezoidal approx 26' by 16' at its widest
narrowing to around 12' at one end.

I'm more than happy with the basic design and I'm happy I have the skills
for the basic construction and so forth however I will wish to insulate the
shed so that the inside remains dry and at more or less constant (extremes
of winter excluded) temperature. If anyone's that interested I'll be
putting a model railway inside it.

My main concern is condensation or to be more precise how to avoid
condensation, if anyone could give any pointers I'd be most grateful.

--

All the best,

Chris

My shed, 14"x 8", complete with model railway. Outer skin horizontal
timber shiplap boards, underneath is a layer of breather roofing
underlay all the way round and including the roof and floor. Roof &
floor is constructed of t&g boards. The roof is covered with top
quality mineral felt, under the roofing boards in between is 50mm
insulation boards fitted tight up to the underlay. The floor as a
layer of breather underlay covered with 12mm insulation covered with
clip fit boards. The inside walls have 50mm insulation fitted tight up
to the layer of breather underlay covered with 12mm sheet ply board.
In the winter I have and electric heater with a thermostat sitting,
this is set just to keep the chill off and try to keep any
condensation at bay. I’ve had no problems apart from the heat in the
summer, it gets a little to warm and a few spiders.