Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Parry Peter Parry is offline

Default Stair gate for elderly person

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 07:45:14 -0800 (PST), DavidM_UK
wrote:

On Jan 17, 7:44*am, Lobster wrote:
On 16/01/2011 19:12, DavidM wrote:

Would a PIR attached to the landing light do the trick, so she wouldn't
be in the dark - or is it more a question of confusion and/or poor vision?

PIR turning on a landing light can easily make matters worse. It
tends to disorient elderly frail people as their eyes don't adapt
quickly. If a PIR is used it is often better to switch a low wattage
diffuse light.

It is more a question of confusion/unsteadyness rather than eyesight,
so I think some sort of physical barrier is a better option, but space
is limited as there's also a stair lift chair parked at the top of the
stairs. Some sort of pivoted lifting bar/barrier seems best in terms
of fitting and ease of use, but I'm concious of of the possibilty of
her falling over the top, or under, it.

Have a look at the two pictures attached to
http://www.remap-internet.org.uk/rem...t=stair%20gate

I'll try DSS and Age UK to see what they say.

For a formal solution she will need an assessment by an occupational
therapist. Other than standard stair gates they don't have much. The
DLF database is at http://www.dlf.org.uk/content/living-made-easy.*
but I couldn't find anything useful at a quick look.

--
Peter Parry
www.remapsherts.org.uk