Posted to uk.d-i-y
DavidM_UK DavidM_UK is offline

Default Stair gate for elderly person

On Jan 17, 7:44*am, Lobster wrote:
On 16/01/2011 19:12, DavidM wrote:

An elderly lady that I do odd jobs for has been recommended to have a
safety gate fitted at the top of her stairs (she's in a first floor
flat). Her bedroom door is immediately opposite the top of the stairs
and there's a concern that she might get up in the night and walk out
the bedroom door and forget to turn right or left!

Would a PIR attached to the landing light do the trick, so she wouldn't
be in the dark - or is it more a question of confusion and/or poor vision?

David

Thanks all for replies.

It is more a question of confusion/unsteadyness rather than eyesight,
so I think some sort of physical barrier is a better option, but space
is limited as there's also a stair lift chair parked at the top of the
stairs. Some sort of pivoted lifting bar/barrier seems best in terms
of fitting and ease of use, but I'm concious of of the possibilty of
her falling over the top, or under, it.

I'll try DSS and Age UK to see what they say.

David
(using Google as newsgroup seems inaccessible via Virgin Media at
present)