Posted to sci.electronics.repair
baron baron is offline

Default OT--Actual electronics repair question

Jeff Liebermann Inscribed thus:

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 21:37:02 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow
wrote:

No, tapping on it will not induce micro-phonics but will often lessen
the howl.

Well, if it were "grounding", then banging on the case would have no
effect (unless there were some screws loose).

Incidentally, I tried my VX-5 turn on/off times. It took about 1
second to turn on, and the same to turn off. Pushing the button to
turn off was *NOT* instantaneous. I had to hold it for 1 sec. It's
been like that since new, so there's been no deterioration. At this
point, I don't know if it's a firmware issue, settings issue, or dirty
keyboard. Save, reset and reload seems the easiest to do first.

Once the radio is on, the howl goes away, maybe after 10 minutes.

Something is getting warm perhaps?

We have it here due to severe thunderstorms with large hail, damaging
winds, localized flooding, micro-bursts and tornadoes.

That's why I like California. Other than earthquakes and government,
we don't have much in the way to disasters here.

... I had just purchased a Dodge 4x4 in the spring. I was
out chasing a storm around and got pelted by some golf ball sized
hail. That ended my chasing days. I don't have a beater that I care
about looking like someone took a hammer to it.

Ouch. I've never even seen a tornado, so I have no idea what it might
be like. Raining golf balls sounds like no fun. Yes, Skywarn has its
place in your part of the country.

This thing doesn't have a backup battery does it ?
If so have you replaced it !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.