Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Meat Plow[_5_] Meat Plow[_5_] is offline

Default OT--Actual elecytronics repair question

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 14:08:48 -0800, Dave Platt wrote:

In article , Meat Plow
wrote:

Heh. I have the VX-5 software from RT and the data cable. So a reset
then reload might not be a bad idea. I've also had grounding problems
with this radio. Makes the audio howl when you turn it up past 50% on 70
centimeters. Main component board depends on lands around screw holes
and the aluminum chassis is part of the ground. An occasional
loose/tight of the chassis screws seems to cure it for a year or so.

Haven't had that particular problem on my own VX-5. On the other hand,
the SMA antenna connector had a nasty tendency to loosen itself. I found
a Web article suggesting the use of a standard hex-bit-shaft
screwdriver, filed or ground down to create a couple of flanges which
engage the slots in the SMA retaining nut... a handy home-made tool for
re-tightening things. This, plus a small drop of Loctite on the
threads, fixed the problem.

I've been fighting off the temptation to just remove the SMA, drill out
the hole, and replacing it with a BNC.

That might be difficult considering the SMA on the VX-5 is recessed. Also
I don't know if there's room inside bor the butt end of a BNC.
I've had to tighten up the SMA on mine maybe twice. But I also use an OEM
antenna and I'm not sure if that contributes because the OEMS don't seat
all the way down in. I ended up putting a small grommet around the bottom
of the SMA on the radio so the antenna tightens down on the chassis
rather than just the threads. Seems to have cured the problem. On the
FT-60 the nut his a hex nut not recessed but rather the stock antenna
screws down over the nut. I believe the contact between antenna base and
chassis helps to keep the nut tight. The OEM Diamond does not screw over
the nut but rather directly down on top of it. Good enough for me since
the nut is essentially part of the chassis. This one has never budged.

Other than this, the radio has worked well, the batter has held up
remarkably and the audio is robust. I also have a dual band FT-60. Rock
solid radio, very loud audio with little distortion. Bought it back in
2006 from AES. They had a special on the radio and drop charger that I
couldn't resist. I bought a Diamond SRH320A antenna for it. I've worked
repeaters 50 miles away outdoors on 2 meters with that HT.

It's amazing how far one can work with little power, with a clear
line-of-sight. I recently had a nice QSO on the repeater I help
maintain, with a ham sitting in a hotel room up in San Francisco (about
45 miles from the repeater) talking on his HT. He was using a roll-up
twinlead J-pole. Sounded as if he was right next to the repeater.

On simplex channels I always reduce the power to the minimum on my Icom
706 MKII/G. No need when you're 5 watts on an HT. My 'home' repeater is
about 12 miles north. Antennas are on top 90' of tower and the radio is a
converted GE Master II UHF 100 watt. It's been in operation since 1995.
It's a privately owned open repeater. Well open until we start hearing
some VE stations which is a big surprise, UHF ducting. Or VHF repeater is
on tone but had VE repeater interference when conditions were right.

I'm hoping for some decent solar activity soon. Back a decade ago I have
some good friends in the UK I talked to every morning on 28.337. Kind of
miss talking to them but keep in touch via the net and Skype.

I used to do a lot of digital also. And tried like heck to decode
commercial TDMA/FSK BAUDOT etc.. It could be done 10 -15 years ago but
most is encrypted now or in odd mark/space 7 bit Blah blah blah. Amateur
Pactor and 1200 baud packet is still pretty popular here.