Posted to uk.d-i-y
Malcolm Malcolm is offline

Default Fold down table with movable pivot point.

On 12/01/2011 20:51, wrote:

I would like to construct a wall mounted fold down table. In the level
position it will reasonably high ,this means that if the hinged end is
fixed at working height the length of table I would like cannot fold
up as the end would not clear the ceiling. Does any one know of a
track or mechanism that could be fixed on the wall that will let the
pivot end be lowered towards the floor so the full length could be
accommodated when in the vertical position.

G.Harman

Years ago - in the late 70's I bought a kitchen table/bench set which
folded up into a wall unit which was the width of the table and about 6
- 8 inches deep. The cheeks of the unit protruded about 5 inces from
the wall. the table, when int the erected position had a strut hinged
at one end to the underside of the table and at the other end hinged to
the base of the wall frame. The wall end of the table fitted inside the
wall frame and had metal dowels fitting into slots routed inside the
wall frame. With the table level in the use position the dowels were at
the top of the slots but when the end of the table away from the wall
was lifted the dowels slid down and the table top ended up vertical
within the wall frame. the benches then folded up to make the system
look like a cupboard standing about 6 inches from the wall.

Difficult to describe, if you are interested, contact me by e-mail on
and I will try to send you some sketches

Malcolm