Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mike Paulson Mike Paulson is offline

Default Swivehhead upgrade for Record Power DML24 - question

I have never used a DML24 but I do have a Poolewood twin tube lathe with
swivel head. The problem I ran into was when I swivelled the head to turn
a larger diameter, the round ways were not rigid enough to handle the
extension of the banjo that far out resulting in the tool rest not being
steady any longer. And, of course, you lose tailstock support. I suppose
you could try propping the tool rest up with a stick to the floor. My
solution was to make a free standing tool rest, but it was a pain to use
so I gave up and converted the ways into something more substantial with a
cast bed from an old Rockwell lathe. For the last 10 years I have been
using a Powermatic 3520 for my bigger pieces, and I gotta tell you, that
sliding headstock allowing you to work off the end of the lathe is really
the way to go if you ever have the option to upgrade. It's a wonderful
system. I don't make a lot of bowls anymore but do make a ton of hollow
forms and, again, being able to work off the end of the lathe is such a
blessing I can't imagine going back. I haven't swivelled the head on the
Poolewood in 10 years and am glad to be done with that.
-mike paulson, fort collins, co

I have a DML24 for 13 or so years and I'm pretty happy with it, except
the size restirction on bowl turning.

I was looking at buying a bigger lathe with a rotating headstock when
I came across the "DMLSHU SWIVELHEAD UPGRADE FOR DML24". Looks like
it'll do the job for my exsiting lathe.

The question is - is it worth it? According to the record website it's
60 quid sterling - but I can't find it for less than 80 on the
web...add shipping to ireland and I could be paying 100 quid
sterling...and while that's a lot cheaper than a bigger lathe....if it
doesn't do the job well then that's 100 quid down the drain.

Appreciate your input,

Shep

P.S. I'm in the Republich of Ireland if anyone has suggestions for how
to get these cheaper.