Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Denis G.[_2_] Denis G.[_2_] is offline

Default Name That Tool

On Dec 30, 12:26*am, Winston wrote:
During fence repairs, I sometimes need to
retrieve 3-5 lb. 1"- 4" diameter chunks of
concrete out of a ~15" - 24" deep hole in the ground.

(They are very unevenly shaped pieces.)

Right now, I squat and grab. *This is getting
old fast.

What I want is something resembling a miniature
'post hole digger':http://www.wiserental.com/images/QPI...igger92380.gif
..With strong, 2" wide blades that would allow me
to grab these pieces from a moderate stoop.

I've cruised and Googled over the last few days.

Closest I've gotten is the HF Long Reach Locking Pliers:
http://www.harborfreight.com/15-inch-long-reach-locking-pliers-97609....

They won't work because the jaws won't open nearly wide
enough and the adjustment is too fiddly for such
brittle material.

What is the name of the tool that will do this please?

Thanks!

--Winston

If you had a skidsteer or a backhoe and wanted a specialized tool,
you'd want a grapple. I've never seen a manual one, though. They're
all hydraulically powered.