Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Watts Tim Watts is offline

Default How long does it take to thaw out an underground pipe?

TheOldFellow wrote:

Incidentally, do I have a complaint against United Utilities as my
stopcock is only 15" below the road? I realise that the pipe from
there to my stopcock is my responsibility.

That's bad - a depth where it could easily freeze.

Let's say that I do have to replace the pipe. Can I bring it into the
house at the end futhers from the kitchen sink, and take it (lagged
with the right stuff) through the roof to the serve the various taps
and the HW tank? Or does it have to come up under the sink?

You can take it in where you like. The sink is only traditional as that is
the first device served before it heads upstairs in many, especially older,
houses.

I would advice to stick a 1/4 turn lever valve (full bore 15mm or 22mm) on
on the first foot or so out of the floor inside so you can isolate as much
pipe as possible from a convenient position.

If you did run a new pipe, I personally would run a larger size (equivalent
to 22mm copper in bore - 28mm MDPE I think(?) to allow for a better flow -
you never know in the future if that would be helful and the material cost
difference is small.

If I can do that, I still have to cut through the tarmac, but it's the
shortest route to the inside. The stopcock would be in the attached
garage though.

R.

Cheers,
Tim