Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default How do you thaw the underground supply water pipe.

On Dec 27, 4:50*pm, TheOldFellow wrote:
Did all the right things. *Left the (sealed system) heating on, turned
the water stopcock off, drained down the cold water system right to
the stop-cock.

After five days returned to no supply at the drain-down just 3 inches
above the stop-cock which is just 4 inches above the slab.

United Utilities says they are very busy, and they might call me back
in a few hours to take details. *Sounds like a long wait.

So how can I move the thawing of the supply pipe forward? *The
15mm black plastic incommer is gently curving as it enters the slab, so
pushing a thaw-pipe in is going to be hard. *Is there any electrical
way - water does conduct a little?

I suspect, that like the electricity supply, it isn't buried far enough.
So I might be into trenching.....

I hate winter.

R.

I leave the tap most remote from the stoptap dribbling. Enough water
goes through to prevent freezing. You need to watch it doesn't freeze
up the drains, My drains are all internal.