Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob[_27_] Rob[_27_] is offline

Default Boiler - water from the flue

On 22/12/2010 18:41, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Rob expressed precisely :
Obviously (?) the flue joint has failed, but this seems like a bonkers
amount of water to be ejected? I'll let the plumber know about this,
but any opinions welcome.

My guess would be that all of that water is simply the condensate and
that ice has managed to form in the pipe which has simply pushed the O
ring seal out of the pipe - it is not a flue pipe, it is a condensate
drain pipe. Condensate drains are causing lots of problems due to icing
up in this cold spell.

Yes, I think the water is condensate. There was visible wetness at the
point shown by the arrow. I defer to your knowledge about what that pipe
is called, but it does make me wonder where waste gas goes.

The length of condensate pipe does seem to be excessive, and it looks as
if it goes up from the point where it emerges from the wall. In which
case the condensate water would need to fill the pipe to be able to flow
down - that cannot be right, is the photo upside down?

No, the first photo is me looking up at what I thought was a flue
(extension kit). The second photo is me looking down, at what I've
identified (incorrectly) as the condensate pipe. I wonder what that
diagonal pipe is then?! The picture at the bottom is that (what I
thought was a condensate) pipe continuing on its path and out to a drain.

Curious! I wonder why he installed all of those pipes! And where's the
flue!!

Thanks - the plumber's coming round later today - I'll report back.

Rob