Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boiler - water from the flue

In article m,
Rob writes:
I posted about this a while ago, and the plumber came round and
diagnosed a faulty flue shroud. Water was coming out of the flue and
forming a pond underneath. The shroud has now been redesigned with a
'bubble' to force water/steam back down the flue. I still don't follow
how that volume of water could follow such a convoluted route (1m
vertical, 3m horizontal), but still.

Just been outside and seen this:

http://www.ifyoucan.org.uk/pages/Boiler.html

Obviously (?) the flue joint has failed, but this seems like a bonkers
amount of water to be ejected? I'll let the plumber know about this, but
any opinions welcome.

Such a volume is expected from a condensing boiler.

I had a leak in my Keston when I first fitted it. It turned out to
be a faulty flue spiggot and nothing to do with any of my joints,
but I repaired it nevertheless rather than waiting days for another
part. The condensate is corrosive, and to be sure there were no more
leaks, I left the hosepipe trickling into the end of the flue for
20 minutes or so, and checked the water wasn't going anywhere (other
than down the condensate drain). I don't know if that's a safe or
harmless test for your boiler, but it was effective with mine, and
if it had been included in the commissioning instructions, it would
have shown up the leak before it had a chance to corrode anything.

--
Andrew Gabriel