Posted to rec.woodworking
Edward Hennessey[_2_] Edward  Hennessey[_2_] is offline

Default corrugated wood fasteners

wrote in message
Does anyone know how to drive these. I know that they are cheap and
lousy ways to join wood but I have never been able to drive them
successfully.

PW:

There is a dedicated tool for the job. The driver resembles thick,
rectangular
piece of metal with a cutout in the shape of the corrugated fastener
inside of which is captured a a floating anvil. You put the
unit over the fastener and strike the anvil on center. If you can't
find one, keep calm. Cut an accommodating slit in a wood block to
support the fastener. Once you carefully seat
the fasteners to level by light, alternating taps on each
end, a piece of metal centered on top helps to sink them
if you don't have the tool. This can be done freehand as well
with an admixture of a little patience and practice. Nonetheless,
if your target is some fiendishly hard wood that will rebuff the
fasteners, I'd choose again.

On a tight joint, it and fasteners do a decent job, supplemented
by glue and screws. I made some supports for bench roofs as a
kid with these and other hardware and they stand today.

A sleeping fragment of memory makes me want to say that Stanley
made the tool.

Regards,

EH