Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] bambam@nospam.tnx is offline

Default Drywall over brick walls in basement

On Wed, 8 Dec 2010 14:06:06 -0800 (PST), Ian Stock
wrote:

I live in Toronto. I have an old (c 1920) brick home with an
unfinished basement. I would like to drywall the basement to give it
a bit of a finished look.

The walls are dry. There is some efflorescence on the brick below
grade. It powers and bubbles a bit, but it is a slow growing process.

I believe that what I need to do is put 1x3 wood strapping on the
brick, and drywall over the strapping.

1.) Any tips on fixing the strapping to the brick? Tapcons will be a
very laborious process. Can I use masonry nails to lag them onto the
brick (or mortar)?

2.) That done, any special tips on dealing with the drywall?

Thanks,

First thought -- old brick has a nice warm feel about it. Maybe keep
a feature wall.

Now, to your question:

1) If space is at an absolute premium, you can drywall against the
brick, assuming the wall is reasonably plumb. I'd just PL Premium
the board against the brick ... drill a few tapcons INTO MORTAR
JOINTS to hold the board while the glue sets up. You can remove these
screws or not, later.

This doesn't deal with insulating and vapour barrier -- you're better
off and warmer with (2).....

2) If you can spare four and a half inches, frame a wall in front of
the brick with two by four, insulate with R12 and poly, then board
in the normal way.

special tips on drywall ? Just the usual.

Figure out ahead of time how you will get the board into the basement.

Drywall companies will deliver AND PLACE the drywall into the
basement, assuming you're doing more than just a couple of hundred
square feet. Board and delivery usually works out to what you'd pay to
wrestle the stuff home from HD or such.

Order lengths (8, 10, 12, 14 footers) to fit wall lengths. Google
installing drywall to see how to fit into room walls.

Ceiling first, then walls. If you can find a pro who will board and
tape for you, grab him. Save you money and aggravation.
If you can't, download a video and invest in some tools.

LOL = lots of luck.

Ken in Calgary