Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Miklos[_2_] Tony Miklos[_2_] is offline

Default Outside mercury vapor light flickering - follow up

On 12/2/2010 11:09 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 22:06:58 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 12/2/2010 9:08 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
Tekkie® posted for all of us...

I have a mercury vapor light that turns itself on/off intermittently at night.

I called the electrical contractor that installed it and thought I just needed
the bulb replaced. The owners wife who answers the phone said it could also be
the ballast.

What are the prices of these parts?

Would it be more economical to have them install a new one?

Any estiguess as to labor time? It's about 15' up so they used a ground ladder
and one person to install.

When I purchased it from an electrical supply place (as instructed by the oelec
co owner) I noticed they did not appear to be real durable...

Any ideas as to what a modern alternative would be?

Thanks all!

The electrical contractor was here weeks ahead of expectations.

The existing light was a dusk to dawn mercury vapor.

Owner claimed bulbs are not available because of the magic word "mercury"

Replaced with metal halide fixture and wife is happy.

Waiting for invoice.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I'll bet you like the color of the light from the metal halide fixture. :-)

TDD

Could be worse - it could be Sodium Vapour - - -

Is that the pink/orange type? Very ugly. I didn't want light to light
up the sky so I gutted the fixture and left only the light sensor
circuit in it. Installed a 27? watt CFL and mounted the lamp about 6
feet lower than it was. Perfect! BTW, this dusk to dawn works with a
relay so any lamp will work.