Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How Do You "TIN" a soldering iron?

On 11/28/2010 9:26 PM spake thus:

How do you know when your soldering iron is tinned?
I keep mine plugged in for 5-10 minutes then when I try tin it, the
solder beads up and just drips offs. It doesn't seem to "wet" the
tip.
Is it suppose to wet the tip of the soldering iron?

Yes.

The problem is that the tip of your iron is dirty. You've got to get all
that scale off of it in order for solder to stick to it. Clean it.

I just use a small piece of sponge which I wet with water. Wipe tip on
sponge.

I'm using non lead solder, 95%Sn, 5% Sb (Tin/Antimony).
Rosin core.

Also, when 1 solder two wires together, I twist the wires together,
then hold the iron to one side of the wire and hold the solder to the
opposite site. The wire should get hot and soak up the solder, right?
I've been practicing but it seems to be hit or miss so far.

A tinned tip will work better. Also, melting a little blob of solder on
the tip and then using the blob to transfer heat to the work helps.

- Comment from an article on Antiwar.com (
http://antiwar.com)