Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Moving a Bridgeport Style machine... (and other questions)

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 11:56:53 -0500, Phred
wrote:

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 15:58:03 -0500, Phred
scribed:

Hey all:

I was asked to dispose of a Jet/Max BP style machine, exact clone of
the Bridgeport mill, including DRO, cutters and other tooling... I
figured I'd grab it for myself and rework it in my spare time.
Actually it only has about 100 hours on it, I trammed the ways and are
all well and good. So good deal for free.

1st question is how to transport it to my house...

Can a flatbed tilt wrecker handle this? I figure if it can winch a SUV
up, it can handle a 1 ton machine as long as it is secured well? It's
only going 12 miles.

What type of floor does this need? I have a 20x20 shed that I would
like to put it in, but it's raised on cinder blocks (so she dinna
rot). Can I use lolly's just under the floor where the machine is, or
should I move the shed, pour a floor, and drop said shed back on it's
new foundation?

Also, I need to run 240 for the 3 phase... I have it in the house for
the W/D, but having never run power outside, what should I look for...
Buried line? Can I also run lighting for the shed off the same panel?

This was a Garden Shed, but I think it will do better as a shop now
that I have a machine. My basement is too low and confined, plus I
really dinna want the smell of coolant and swarf wafting into the
living room.

Guess that's it. Thanks' gang... Have a Great Holiday!

Fred Fowler III

WOW! So many great ideas! I'm gonna put this on hold fer a day...I
dinna ken about the power, the VF modulator sounds right, I reckon I
can juice this from that 100A panel... Buried of course... I may get a
nice old SB lathe too in this deal. Needs some work, but I'll have it
cutting in no time...

VFD..and yeah..you only need one rated at 3hp for the average 2hp motor.

My big Gorton Mastermill runs off a 5hp VFD..and its a 3hp motor and my
Rockwell 3/4hp drill press has one also
http://picasaweb.google.com/gunneras...69965049254354
http://picasaweb.google.com/gunneras...69903922343714

Everything else 3ph runs off a 5hp rotary phase converter.

Gunner

--
"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't