Posted to alt.home.repair
Angello Huong Angello Huong is offline

Default Kerosene -- is there a "stabil" for kerosene?

From my own experience with storing cans of kerosene long-term in my
garage, you can keep them around for at least 10-20 years and it will
still be good-as long as it's in a dry environment and in an air-tight
container. It's likely that it can stay useable for 100+ years.

Over the years, the color sometimes turn from clear to a bit yellow
tinted, but I've never noticed any problems with the burning
performance or putting out any off odors.

Also, my only experience applies for K-1 kerosene. I don't know how
well the lower grade kerosene stuff (i.e. red dye) holds up.

Angello

For emergencies only, I have a still-in-original-box kerosene
heater.

Emergenceis, lets say, occur only every 5 years. Or 10.

So, you want to store a bunch of kerosene for that
eventual emergency. But doesn't kerosene "go bad"
after a while?

What can you do so as to keep the kerosene "good"
for a LONG time?

----

Also, what do YOU do for keeping around the ability
to heat an area if and when the power goes out
for eg a week or so?

Thanks!

David