Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Metal Nibbler Three

On 2010-11-24, Bob La Londe wrote:
Picture
http://www.yumabassman.com/bulletinb...=671&mode=view

[ ... ]

There is also a box of tapes (program and code files I assume) and five tool
holders including some minor tooling and a drill chuck. It looks like #30
tool holders, but I was told they were "Quick 200." Anybody know how to
measure them to know what it is. (I have not looked in the manuals yet.)

Well -- the #30 ones are the same taper as the big end of an R8
collet -- and the same diameter. (You can find the dimensions in
Machinery's Handbook.)

The #30 has a flange past the big end which has two notches 180
degrees apart. If it is the NTMB 30 (or NMTB -- I keep getting that
reversed), the flange will be about 1/4" thick (says he without
measuring one) and the two notches will be identical. The edge will be
a simple edge to a disk. There will be a cylindrical section at the
small end, with an internal thread for a drawbar. (Though some
quick-change spindles do not need a drawbar.)

If the #30 is a CAT-30 or some of the other similar flavors, the
flange will be a bit thicker with a V-groove turned into the edge, and
the two notches will be of different size -- so the tool will always
load with the same orientation. It is a designed for an automatic tool
changer. With those, you will find a ball screwed into the end of the
conical section -- with no cylindrical section.

Now -- if the Quick-200 is what I am remembering, instead of
having a flange with a pair of notches, it will instead have a pair of
projecting wings about where the notches would be on a NTMB 30. And
they are smaller. But they are still tapered.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564