Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Chandler Jim Chandler is offline

Default Anyone here rebuild a F163 engine

On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 14:03:01 -0500, "Steve W."
wrote:

Steve B wrote:
"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 21:39:16 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

My SA200 is leaking oil from front and rear seals. Will probably put an
additive in there, but am not expecting a lot. Has anyone rebuilt one of
these four bangers? Doesn't look like anything complicated. I've rebuilt
about half a dozen V-8's in my life, the old 283/327 Chevies. Parts seem
be available, probably even from NAPA.

Ideas appreciated. I know it will cost a bit, but compared to a new one,
it
will be less, and I like this old gal. If the back half checks out, I may
spring for it. I'm guessing $500. Anyone know the real price?

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

$500 for what? The seals? $75 at most for all the seals you are gonna
need and then some.

Gunner

Gasket set, new mains, seals, rod bearings. Might as well go through it
while it's apart.

Steve

http://www.motorpower.net/pricing/f163.html

$415.00

Actually, the front and rear main seals can usually be replaced
without tearing the engine apart. See if you can get aservice manual
on the vehicle and look at the procedure. Generally speaking the
front seal is pulled out and the replacement is driven in with a
driver or appropriately sized socket. The rear main is pretty much
the same.

Jim