Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
rashid111 rashid111 is offline

Default Fabricating a sauna wood burning stove

Folx,

all the advice is much appreciated !

I am rather aware of the rich history between Finland & USSR, but it's
been long over by now , so let's move on.
Besides, in the tsarist Russia, Finland was effectively a self-
governed territory and didn't do that bad at all

I am sure Russian "banya"/ "parilka" (steam room) is as old as Finnish
sauna. The chief difference we

- the method use to heat up the rocks (in traditional Russian design,
they were exposed to direct flame - thus the name "chernaya" (black)
- Finns like dry heat, Russians splash water onto the hot rocks to get
copious amts of steam into the air

Both enjoy the distinct technique of staying in till you can not take
it no more and then, running out buck naked and dipping into a ice-
covered lake or a snow drift . In the summer, you'd always have few
buckets of coldest water one can get. The thermal shock is most
beneficial to human body/skin & spirit

My main concern had to do with the water being splashed onto the
exterior and creating some rust. I guess I am being paranoid here and
having no paint is just fine

While on it:

Is 1/8 HRS good nuff ? Should I use 3/18" ?

About the inside of the oven - are any liners (bricks) etc used - or
fire burn right on the exposed metal ?

Thanks again !