Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce[_7_] Bruce[_7_] is offline

Default Fabricating a sauna wood burning stove

On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 00:59:46 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 18:06:46 -0500, "Phil Kangas"
wrote:

I can't take it anymore, yes you paint the sucker!
Use high heat
black in a rattle can and put it on heavy. Then
set it up outside
and put a big hot fire in it, really hot, kiln
dried maple is best.
Then it won't stink anymore and it won't end up
looking like a
chunk of crappy looking scrap iron. And don't be
afraid to fire
it up hot on a regular basis too! If you're the
type who is afraid
of a hot stove with flames halfway up the chimney
you have no
business burning wood. Cold, smoldering, smoky
fires are no
good, they are creosote makers asking for trouble.
The inside
of the stove should be snow white!
While we're on the subject, another thing that
gets me going
are top benches too low! The code inspector says
they cannot
be any higher than what was decided upon by a
panel of ignorant
beaurocrates who don't know ****. How are you
supposed to
put your feet on the ceiling with a top bench that
freaking low?
And one more thing, just one: rough cut cedar
benches rule!
Rough cut, as in fresh off the circular saw, three
inches thick
and ten inches wide is about right. Two side by
side on top,
one loner in the middle and two side by side for
the lower.
phil kangas

Note to Rashid: Kangas is a Finnish name. Saunas are Finnish. Listen
up!

Foreman is not a Finnish name, but my maternal grandparents both came
from Finland. The name was Suuronen but Grampa changed that to Sirola
because nobody here could pronounce Suuronen correctly. My middle name
is Sirola.

I've never built a sauna stove so I'll defer to Phil on that. I
rather doubt that they had high-temp paint in rattlecans in Finland
circa 1900, but it may well be a good approach in 2010.

Never been to Finland but my granddad used some stuff he called "stove
polish" every fall when it started to get cold. I think it was a waxy
substance that you just smeared on with a brush, not an actual paint.

Cheers,

Brice