Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Floor to ceiling, wall to wall bookcase advice....

Still not decided on lumber or plywood but Birch is very paintable and
Maple is very stainable correct? Lumber would be popular right? Do all
of these have to be finely sanded before primer?

Maple is stain-able but can be very splotchy. A conditioner helps give
a more even look.

Birch and other "Finnish" plywood is finish ready. (pun)
Most home store hardwood lumber is ready for paint although a quick rub
down with 180 or 220 wouldn't hurt things, and would be a good idea
before staining.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)