Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Floor to ceiling, wall to wall bookcase advice....

You're getting a lot of great advice already.
I'll just add in a couple things...
I'm also in the solid or plywood camp. Resist the MDF urge.
If you go with plywood, you can do 4 feet shelves if you add hardwood
facing.

These bookcases were done that way.
http://mikedrums.com/bookcases.jpg

The shelves are 3/4 ply with hardwood facing front and back. I probably
could have gotten away with just the front, but they have a lot of heavy
books and scrapbooks, so better safe than sorry. Plus, they're
reversible. :-)

Another advantage of the hardwood strips, is the look. You can put a
decorative profile on them if you choose. The added thickness, IMO,
gives the shelves better scale. These were rabbeted and glued.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--