Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default AHR regulars making money for web sites and not getting paid forit?

On 11/3/2010 2:43 PM, architecturalrealms wrote:
responding to
http://www.homeownershub.(snip)

This issue has come up before- I Googled myself (hairy palms be damned),
and of the several thousand hits to my name, well over half were AHR
posts that had been mirrored to 'forums' on various web sites. Us
regulars and semi-regulars are in effect providing free content to these
sites, and making them look a lot more active than they really are. I'd
not be surprised if they cook their books to make each harvested AHR
message look like a page hit, to pump up their ad rates.

Anybody have any ideas how to counteract this? Maybe a standard tag line
above the sig delimiter saying 'This post was made to the actual Usenet,
not to a stinkin' web forum! If you are reading this on a web site,
don't assume I have anything to do with this company or these people'.
Or is their harvesting software smart enough to strip off stuff like that?

Too bad you can't copyright Usenet posts....
--
aem sends...