Nate B

Default Wide Planer, or Compact Planer + Wide Sander?

"charlie b"

Wide drum sander is also handy...

Hi. Thanks for your time. I think you were mentioning what the wide sander
is good for. I'm wondering what people would use the full width of a 20" or
so planer for.

You wanting to do solid wood furniture, face framed ply cabinets
or some combination of the two?

Seems a good question. I'm thinking most of my solid wood panels would be
drawer fronts and doors - sometimes panel type construction. I think I
would prefer plywood type construction for the rest, in general.

Be aware that the 16-32's only do 16 widths.

Given that most of my work would be, it seems, 18" or less on solid wood
panels, does it seem I should be looking at a 22-44 kind of sander? IOW, is
the 16-32 too tedious or inaccurate in general for work over 16" ??

Or - should I go with the 20" planer in my case (18" work, in general) and
my work time would be better spent with an orbital sander after planing?

- Nate