Andy Dingley

Default What can you do with a lathe? Do more with a legacy

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 20:31:06 -0700 (MST), (Joe
"Woody" Woodpecker) wrote:

First off, I wouldn't own a lathe. You see you can't make flutes or
reeds with a lathe.

You make a jig to go on it and add a router. I can flute with a
lathe, a router and a gutter jig made of three planks. For reeding I
don't even use the router, just a #66 Stanley.

You can't make rope like spirals with a lathe.

If I want spirals, I'll go and buy some of the plethora of '20s
"Jacobean" that's around, then saw them off. I get matching spirals
easily, and I reduce the amount of this ugly stuff that's still out
there dodging the firewood pile.

Then I'll gouge out my eyeballs for inflicting more of this bloody
mock Tudor on the world.

You can't make exact duplication with a lathe.

Nor can you with this. I can imagine it turning a baseball bat, but
lets see it make a gunstock or a pair of clogs..

You can't make rosettes,
mortises, tenons, contours, dadoes and arches.

I can make tenons with a froe if I want to, and on occasion I've don
it. However it's not the best way, and neither is your Legacy machine.

What I would buy is a Legacy Ornamental Milling machine.

This thing is 600 quid ! For that money I can have it hand-carved in
Bali. For 600 notes, I expect to get a Holtzappfell !

Here's a much cheaper version, if you really want barley-sugar twists

http://www.trendmachinery.co.uk/routerlathe/

A LATHE IS A WASTE OF MONEY AFTER YOU SEE THIS MACHINE.

Next you'll be telling me I need a few grands worth of tenoner before
I can make a rabbit hutch.

Sure, this is a great machine if you want to make twirlies all day,
and you have a need or market for that many twirlies. But if I wanted
to work in a twirly factory, I'd get a job in one. It's all too easy
to buy some expensive machines because they deliver factory production
levels, then find you must spend the next 25 years working on what's
now a production-line in a bank-owned factory to pay for them.