T.

Default What can you do with a lathe? You can't make spindles very fast

Sun, Jan 18, 2004, 11:33am (EST-2)
(Joe=A0"Woody"=A0Woodpecker) claims:
You want to talk about fun. Well, fun is when you turn a pair of
spindles, each looking like twisted rope with a hollow center (left
twist and right twist) that has none of the strands touching, and you
install them on the chair or chest you are building.

No ii's not. Might be fun to make one, just to make one, but most
of them are really kinds ugly, to me.

Fun is when you make for a friend the stair styles he needs when he is
building his house.

No, that would be helping out.

Fun is knowing that your turning is better than Norm's.

I don't care if my turning is better than Norm's or not. I don't
do things to show him, or anyone else up (well, I could makean
exception on that for Bob).

Fun is knowing when you can make more stylish turnings that your friends
that just have a lathe.

See above answer.

Fun is being able to complete a project because you're not 'playing' on
a lathe.

When I "play" on my lathe, I'm not doing a project, I'm having fun.

Fun is seeing results in minutes.

I don't have a time limit on my pjects, I 'm not mass producing
stuff, so I really don't care.

Fun is turning several 2" dowels in a matter of minutes, all with an
exact duplication.

Considering that if I needed 2" dowels, I'd be just as likely to
bandsaw the wood to size, then whittle them out with a knife, so exact
duplication just dosen't enter into it, somehow. Especially since I
only need dowels every few years.

Fun is knowing you don't have to spend $400 plus on a lathe duplicator.

No, fun is making a lathe duplicator, out of mostly scrap plywood,
probably. Seeing as I'm not a production shop, that'd be close enough.

Fun is knowing you don't have to make jigs to finish a project.

Fun is knowing I have to make jigs to finish a project.

Need I go on.

Please, no!!

JOAT
You have two choices in life: You can dissolve into the mainstream, or
you can be distinct. To be distinct is to be different. To be different,
you must strive to be what no one else but you can be.
- Alan Ashley-Pitt=A0=A0=A0

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT
Web Page Update 15 Jan 2004.
Some tunes I like.
http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...OMETUNESILIKE/