Posted to ed.general,uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default Satellite dish positioning

In article -
september.org, Sam Wilson scribeth thus
In article ,
lid (Windmill) wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" writes:

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 20:49:26 GMT, Windmill wrote:

The problem is that the satellite might be out of view, just barely,
_behind_ the side of the wall.

At this time of year the sun is roughly in the same position as the
constellation of satellites for Freesat/Sky etc about 0920 GMT (1020
BST)(*). Anywhere that is clearly sunlit at that time should be able
to see the satellites. Dish mounts do let you peek a dish around a
corner.

It's a very very close thing, but there is one (only one) other dish
along the whole length of the street i.e. in about 100 rear-facing
flats.
So either possible, or the dish owner has been disappointed.

Might have to build a contraption to space the dish away from the wall.

This is probably a bad idea since I know almost nothing about how radio
waves propagate at sat-TV frequencies, but is there any chance of
getting a reflection of something at the other side or at the end of the
block? I also assume you're not on the ground floor since you would
already have thought about mounting the dish on the ground away from the
wall, right?

Sam

Just wouldn't be strong enough to do that, let along at being just the
right angle etc!...
--
Tony Sayer