Nate B

Default Wide Planer, or Compact Planer + Wide Sander?

Saw a lot of stuff on Google about Planer vs Sander, but that's not the
question here.

I was considering a 20" planer, but now thinking a smaller portable type
planer to dimension stock, then a wide sander for after gluing might be a
better deal. I don't have the space in my shop for a large planer and a
sander.

If the lumber has been dimensioned well on a small planer, then glued to
make wider panels, is there any compelling use for the wider planer at this
point over making the final passes on a sander? Seems the Performax sander
could do 32" at this point versus being limited to 20" by what most consider
to be a pretty large planer.

IOW - what do you use your wider planer for besides cleaning up glued
boards?

I've heard that your planer should be at least twice the width of your
jointer. Any compelling reason I'm missing other than some sort of
efficiency in gluing up wide panels? The jointer is 8".

I'm looking at building a few dressers, desks and bookshelves in my
foreseeable future. Maybe some kitchen cabinets if I ever find the time.

Thanks,

- Nate