Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom[_33_] Tom[_33_] is offline

Default how long will old boiler last?

On 10/26/2010 8:25 AM, Pete C. wrote:

Vic Smith wrote:

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 14:26:46 -0400, Tom wrote:

Here's my question stated simply:
How long do boilers generally last? I'm trying to determine if the one in my
home will last through this coming heating season. Is there any way to check
besides looking for leaks?

[snipped]

It's the common tankless DHW coil inside the boiler jacket. When those
die, typically due to hard water deposits and corrosion in them, you
either replace them if the part is available or switch to an indirect
fired DHW tank setup.

First off, thanks to everybody for all the great replies. I'll probably see if
I make it through this season and then maybe switch to a gas boiler next year.
Yes, it is steam heat here.

I'm getting frazzled looking at pages for "indirect DHW setup" quoted above,
even this brochu
http://www.amtrol.com/pdf/BoilermateMC10009low.pdf
but nobody explains what exactly it is. It's apparently a separate tank,
rather than having the coils right in the boiler primary water - but where
does it go? How does it attach to or connect with the boiler?

Thanks again, I learned a lot.