Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default how long will old boiler last?

Tom wrote:
Here's my question stated simply:
How long do boilers generally last? I'm trying to determine if the
one in my home will last through this coming heating season. Is there
any way to check besides looking for leaks?

Here are the details:
I've got a Utica oil-fired boiler with radiators, in a single family
home. It's a Utica O.U. Series. I'd guess the boiler is roughly 35
years old. The burner on it was replaced, I think in 1995. The boiler
also has copper tubes running inside it to heat the home's hot water.

When a boiler fails, does it usually fail suddenly or can I limp
through a season with a small leak by simply refilling the water? It
doesn't seem to leak now, judging by the water level in the glass
tube. I have to manually operate a valve to add water, so I'd know if
the water level was noticeably declining.

What happens with a sudden big leak? Does the burner then just not
come on because of some overheat-sensor?

If it does develop a leak, can a leak be plugged?

There's one other consideration: I had it shut down from May to
December of 2008. When I started it back up, all seemed fine but
later I noticed a rust colored stain on the concrete floor. I believe
that happened because of the sudden change in temperature. There has
not been a single drop of visible leakage since that one time. When I
do empty the low water shutoff every other week or so, the water that
comes out is never is rusty. It is either black if the boiler's been
run a lot, or else it's pretty clear otherwise.

So, what should I do to try and figure if it will be good through
this winter, in PA? Thanks.

It'll probably be okay.

The steamboat S.S. Sultana, during it's life, had multiple leaks in its
boilers. They were patched with iron plating and bolted in place. The
Sultana continued serving commerce on the river with little interruption.

Until three of its boilers blew up, killing an estimated 1,800 returning
Civil War Union Soldiers and sinking near Memphis.